Products with stockable attributes

Dolibarr is a very complete program. But one thing I’m missing or I don’t find, is:

A module, or any project, to make products with attributes (like color, size etc… ), or a sub or child product system. I have a lot of products with the same price but with different attributes, (T-shirt, helmets…). To control the stock I have to create 48 products (6 sizes, 8 colors). To change the prices, with 3 price levels, is a big problem.

I think, this will be useful for many users.

1 Like

OFF COURSE it could be !

Even for people looking to record, not only the color of product, but also expiry date of a perishable item or a batch number…

But such a basic feature is not on the roadmap and no one wants to speak about or put it on the table and realize it is really a lack, making Dolibarr very weak against other solutions…

Sometimes I’m asking myself who uses Dolibarr (artists ?)or very small companies (even for small companies it would be useful, if not mandatory for health or food products distribution…)

So many views, and so few answers…
This topic seems really ESCAPED by the community !

Even they could give just a feedback, but NO !

Even developpers on the Doliforge (because I created a “feature request”) just said : " don’t assign it to all devs " and unchecked all devs.
But in my opinion this development should involve all devs, because it has impacts on all modules.

This would be a great feature, although I can certainly understand why no one is running to do this feature request.

Simply put… it looks easy, however as you dig deeper it is a huge piece of work. For every Item that has 2 variations (style,size, color etc) there needs to be an additional 2 records, whilst most details could be referenced from the parent item, you would still have to affect stock, ordering numbers, SKU codes, supplier codes… YIKES!! the list goes on.

I have been running Dolibarr for over a year now and love it, we have up to 10 styles per line item and have simply loaded them as seperate items, sure the initial setup took longer, but so much easier especially once you start usiing barcodes and the rest of Dolibarr’s modules. IMHO

I very much want this feature. I did see some modules in the DoliStore, but neither really did this well.

I sell clothing and each style can have over 30 colors and 10 sizes! That is a lot of stock to enter line by line.

Would love to be able to enter a product in Dolibarr like I do on my webstore, where I am able to enter a product and on the product data entry screen I can also do the following:
-- select unlimited attributes and options (colors, sizes, etc.) from an option list that are then assigned to that product and can be selected when making an order.
-- specify any additional costs associated with the option and it is automatically added to the product price if that option is ordered
-- apply unlimited quantity price discounts that are automatically calculated when the quantity changes.
-- assign special limited time sale prices on products

I believe those features are common on most webstores. It would be so nice if Dolibarr had the same functionality.

check this commit on 6.0

and test 6.0 with this option octivated, maybe it works for you, it is based on webstore way of managing attributes.

But how do you manage purchases if you have same ref for 2 different colors ?

Thank you for the suggestion, Hubz. I am FTPing 6.0 with the attributes folder to a test site as I type. Cannot wait to try it out and see how it works. I’ll keep you updated.

As for tracking inventory for a product with separate options, we do not do purchasing through our website, however our current order management system we use in our shop also allows us to add options/attributes to a product all on one screen, although it is somewhat more limited than our webstore. The way it works is that we enter the product, then specify colors and sizes for the product using a grid (each column in the grid is a size, each row is a color). We can then select the colors and sizes we want to order using the grid. If we do not enter a quantity in a color/size combination box in the grid, it is not added to our inventory; if we do add a quantity in a box in the grid, it is added. I can only guess it acts as a merge function where it merges three separate fields from three separate tables into one actual product/inventory item. It automatically assigns each combination its own reference number. If you remove the quantity from the combination box in the grid, it removes it from inventory. I do like that about our current system. However, it doesn’t do a lot of other things well which is why I am testing Dolibarr.

Well, I uploaded dolibarr 6.0 with the attributes module folder to my test site and although dolibarr installed fine (and has a more modern new look to it, I might add), I cannot find the attributes module anywhere. The folder is most definitely in my files in my cpanel, but not anywhere on the front end that I can see. I looked under Setup>Modules. Would it be somewhere else? Am I missing something?

Change your feature level - it might be experimental.

1 Like

Yes, this worked! Thank you!

And ? Did you succeed to add attributes to variants and values to attributes ?
It can work as you wih i assume :
Product : TSHIRT (1€)
Attribute : Color
Values : Blue (+10%), Red (+20%), Yellow (+200%)
Variants :
TSHIRT-COLOR-BLUE 1.1€
TSHIRT-COLOR-RED 1.2€
TSHIRT-COLOR-YELLOW 2€

It seems you can also propagate these values to other products like PANTS and have same variants at the end. Did not try

Hubz,

Yes, it seems to be working as I anticipated. It allows you to add multiple variants at a time to a product, so I was able to create attributes COLOR and SIZE with multiple values under each. And then when adding to a product, I am able to select both a COLOR and SIZE, so I end up with
T-shirt_BLUE_XL
T-shirt_GREEN_L
Etc.
And since we do charge more for larger sizes, being able to add the upcharge at the same time is also very nice.
It creates new line items for each combination which helps with purchasing and inventory purposes, yet still saves the parent product separately. And that feature, I found, is nice for updating pricing because you just need to update the price on the parent product card and it automatically updates it for all the variants, which is a great time saver.
And yes, you can propagate the variants to other products, as well, which is useful because the variants do not get copied when simply cloning a product.

All in all, I am really liking 6.0.0 with the new features. Looking forward to it becoming a stable version!