Update on a remote hosted server

Hi all,

I have inherited Doli but know nothing re hosting and coding. I am very slowly learning, and have realised that the version we are using is old.
I want to upgrade but cannot do the install process in the guides has we are on a hosted server.
Can someone tell me how to extract and where to copy the new files to in my server folders that are connected to the MySQL DBs? Is it possible to just copy and overwrite files for Doli and when I log on again it’ll be the new version?

Thanx

What Dolibarr version?
What provider?
What Server-OS there?
Can you login to the server wit PUTTY or SSH?

Best regards

Hi,

I can help you on this . Share your skype_id / email . I will do this for you .

Hi Sachin,

My email is vera@romakitchens.co.za
I would appreciate the help, thank you.

What Dolibarr version? Current 3.7
What provider? Provider meaning?
What Server-OS there? We use a hosted server, I don’t know the OS that they use
Can you login to the server wit PUTTY or SSH? I have no idea what either of those are, I can use FileZilla and MyPHPadmin

When I say that I am new to programming and Dolibarr I really mean it, LOL

Pls. don’t feel offended by the following - but pls. take the following advice seriously:

Not knowing what you are doing leads you into desaster.

Never plan to use ANY software to support your valuable business with, if you don’t know anything about the underlying services & software required.

Dolibarr is NOT an Android App or an Desktop Office Package. It’s Open Source SERVER software developed & to be maintained by people educated and/or knowledgeable to use the needed tools properly.

Best regards

Hi, no offence taken.

I would not have chosen this ERP if it was my choice. I have inherited this and with management not wanting to change it I have to deal with it.

So I would appreciate help and support and a lot of patience. Forum’s a re great places for that and I have learnt many many other things via the kind help of people over a variety of topics with my own other self study.

I am more than happy for the advise (which I knew already) but as said, I didn’t choose Dolibarr. I wouldn’t have chosen it for the opensource reasons that you mentioned but also for the lack of English support, forum openness and over all site guidance. The programme itself is great and I can see the potential once I do get to learn opensource, but I am not about to go back to university to learn coding when the internet has a vault to unlock.

Thank you greatly for the attempted help thus far :happy:

Here we go:

First challenge: YOU have to make a decision along the mantra “Never change a running system!” (Bad German English, I know).

Do you have a customer requirements document, system requirements specification, component functional specification, concept description, detailed specification or other similar documents available?

Hosting takes place either on your own server located inhouse or on remote servers located outside your company, usually provided by specialized companies or large Telcos.
These companies use different “Server Operating Systems” software. Each OS has different installation requirements for Dolibarr.

Depending on the answers above, it might be possible to help you with tools you’re accustomed to.

Best regards

Ols. post the URL of the hosting company & the name of the contracted hosting package here. This would help us to crosscheck the
https://wiki.dolibarr.org/index.php/Prerequisite

Best regards

Casati sorry mate but I think you are over complicating it.Vera has an old Dolibarr version and he wants to upgrade it but doesn’t know how.
So, Vera, firstly do a backup (create a copy in case something go wrong you can always bo back. without backup there is no way back) of your current version you have to download a new version of Dolibarr that you want to use (the current stable version is 6.0.3 and you can download it from here download the dolibarr-6.0.3.zip) then open FileZilla and go to your server where you have your current version of Dolibarr (3.7) and open dolibarr folder in there. Upload the ZIP file to your server (anywhere you like, the best is to create a new folder for it at least that is what I do) and extract it there. You should have some files and folders such as “htdocs”, “documents”, “scripts”. Select them all (all files and folders) copy and paste them into the folder where you keep your current version of Dolibarr (you sh=oulkd have the same folders in there “htdocs”, “documents”, “scripts”) server will ask you if you want to overwrite them click yes (you need to overwrite the old Dolibarr files with the new once). Great news you are almost done! Now you need to access the upgrade (installation) page. Go to your dolibarr link, for example, www.dolibarr.yourdomain.com/htdocs/index.php but instead of index.php use install www.dolibarr.yourdomain.com/htdocs/install you will see the screen with few options e.g. fresh install or upgrade. In your case, you need to do the upgrade but you will need to do upgrade one by one so firstly upgrade to 3.8 then to 3.9 then to 4.0 and so on.
It is quite a simple process but for a beginner, it can look a bit complicated.
Remember to do a backup!
Good luck!

Hi FHS,

You are a star, I have done this (backups of my sever files included - with dolibarr folders etc.) but now I get this error when trying to log on, on the login screen:

Unknown column ‘u.fk_societe’ in ‘field list’

I have looked and apparently the coloumn that used to have this name in the llx_users MySQL DB is changed to fk_soc but for some reason the script telling the programme to look for this column and not the fk_societe column has not changed… That is if I am understanding the info that I have red correctly?

http://installatron.com/updatefeed/dolibarr_3_8_0

Any idea on how to sort this out? I don’t know how to change the column name back, but I assume that it wouldn’t help as the further updates will need the column to be called fk_soc???

No worries, happy to help. Firstly try to do a fresh install and see what that will give you. So again use a link www.dolibarr.yourdomain.com/htdocs/install but now instead of upgrading us the first option (fresh install) and let us know if it’s sorted

@futurehousestore,

there are reasons NOT to update blindfolded. They are documented under WARNINGS in the respective Release Notes https://wiki.dolibarr.org/index.php/Roadmap_and_Release_3.8.0

As long as the current business-processes of Veras company would not be affected, everything might be ok.

But given the fact that Vera presented himself as being not a programmer, I’ve asked additional questions.

Best regards

Therefore I’ve asked to do a backup first :wink: almost every Doli version introduces such changes… improvements need to be implemented sometimes in a soft way other time in a hard way. A fresh install should fix the problem but may not. Let’s see what happens. He’s got a backup so there is always a way to go back :wink:

I did the upgrade via that link again first to see if it would solve the problem

Sorry, I used mydomain/install the mydomain/htdocs/install gives me this screen

yeap so now click on start and process with a fresh install

Awesome, should I just do the install for 6.0.3 one shot then?

let’s try and see what happens. If you get any error message, please post it here

Hi,

So I tried to install and got this error:

I think that I set my root wrong somewhere, I used data from the original conf file…