How to import Chart of Accounts

Hi, team,

I would like to import chart of account created in xls file by my auditors so that its a match.
Is there any provision to do that?
If Yes can some1 walk me through.
Thanks.

Hi Nazeer,
Have you tried Tools-> Import assistant
There is a section where you can import chart of accounts

Over three years and still couldn’t find a good guide. After a headache of trying to figure it out with the limited guidance, I finally got it working. Here’s the English unofficial guide on how to import a nonexistent chart of accounts with along with a working template.

If you want to import an entirely new chart of accounts, the first thing you have to create the “Chart of accounts” by going to Accounting > Setup > Chart of accounts models > and add your model there. Example: Chart of accounts model: “MY-COA-2022”, Label: “This is my COA that I created”, Country: “United States (US)”.

Then, make sure you have enabled the “DATA IMPORTS” module. If you have it enabled, go to Tools > New Import > Chart of accounts > CSV (or Excel, but I only tested CSV) > Choose and Add your file, e.g., “mycoa.csv” > leave everything as is or modify as required and Next Step > Run Import Simulation > and if this is a brand new COA, it should be a success! > Import Data > Enjoy!

Below is a working template
“START OF mycoa.csv”

Chart of accounts* (aa.fk_pcg_version),Accounting account* (aa.account_number),Label* (aa.label),Parent account (aa.account_parent),Custom group (aa.fk_accounting_category),Group of account* (aa.pcg_type),Status* (aa.active),Creation date (aa.datec)
MY-COA-2022,7,Product sales,,,PROD,1,2017-04-28
MY-COA-2022,707,Product sales,ref:7,,PROD,1,2017-04-28

“END OF mycoa.csv file”

Note that if you are making a parent, you leave blank that entry. And here, you only use “ref:” since the ID is not visible to us. The “ref:” should be followed the parent’s “accounting account (aa.account_number)”.

Edit: For some reason if the parent account is larger than ref:99, it does not work. I’m not sure why. I think it might be a bug, since if I manually create an entry with a larger value than 99 (by Accounting > Setup > Chart of Accounts > “+”) , and then I try to import the csv with a ref:>99, the import works.

Edit 2: Not sure if the error mentioned in the original edit is a feature or a bug, but the way to “solve” it is by going to Accounting > Setup > General > Enable “Allow to manage different number of zeros at the end of an accounting account.” After enabling this, I was able to import ref:>99