Dolibarr is a great product - but ...

- it lacks a supportive community outside France. And I’m not talking developers here but users!

And that’s really bad.

As an example - try to follow the discussion here in the French forum:

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http://www.dolibarr.fr/forum/15-retours-dexperiences-utilisateursintegrateurs/53863-marre-des-versions-majeures-de-dolibarr-pourrites&usg=ALkJrhjHkCxHWddF5BIWPgUF26RmKdHRBQ

The pity is, most of the user input of questions & ideas happens there - but could not be used elsewhere because of translation problems.

Any ideas how to solve that?

Best regards

1 Like

Hello,

Dolibarr is a Community project. In the Community developpers, users, and professionnal partners are invited to share. Dolibarr sites are managed by Dolibarr foundatio and members.
Participating is done on a voluntear basis, and people do it …or not.
Some use forums to post questions, but newer share a response to help someone else.
Some publish their angryness
Some wants specific developpements for theit use (for free of course…)
Some like to debate on organisational problems
Some promote their own activity…

But a lot are juste sharing, because they get Dolibar for free, and it is a way to give back something.

1 Like

That was my question:

Best regards

We try to start support forums in several languages (sogar auf deutsch), but building communiies takes time and depends on user particpation which is free…

SIX hours ago I’ve posted a solution to a fellow forist’s question in the German forum.

Yet my post is not visible.

Best regards

Hello,
For new users on german forum, first forum posts must be validated manually to fight against spammers.
wil be okay with the next posts…

“Wenn Sie neu auf dem Forum sind, muss Ihr Post zuerst von einem Administrator freigeschaltet werden (Gegen Spam massnahme). Wenn Sie mal auf dem Forum ein paar mal mitgemacht haben, können Sie Ihrer Posts gleich sehen.”

Greetings

hello !

i’m new here and happy to be allowed to use this forum but…
because i’m a german i will try to help after a first period of learning for myself
one of my biggest problems is that i can not find a index for the wiki
for example, casati posted in the forum al solution for pdf-problems
http://wiki.dolibarr.org/index.php/Create_a_PDF_document_template
i visited this page, the content is great (for me heavy to understand, but good) so i wanted to get other informations too.
i tryed to go one folder higher and searched for “pdf” but did not find
…ok, one hour later i found, its under “developer dokumentation”, but how can i know this ?

i think to get a first orientation in “dolibars doku” it needs a long time and many people will give up

ok, i not !

thanks for help, i’ll try to give it back
wolfgang :slight_smile:
ps: my post was verry fast online (now i try my first post in the german forum)

Wolfgang,

the pity is, that most of the valuable content (code snippets & practical advice) is only available in the hard to Google translate French forum still.

So our only chance for the time being is, to pick up most of the questions there early on and train ourselves by reading the Wiki and the Dolibarr code - alongside the discussions there.

Best regards,
Peter

PS: Although I don’t miss vtiger CRM anymore, I still miss the vivid English forums there …

We know in the Dolibarr foundation that documentation must be improved, and hopefully translated in Deutsch by german speacking voluntears.
Since Linux 2014, Dolibarr foundation work on gathering german speacking Dolibarr fans (user, developper, partners, service provider …) in a loacal Association (founded in 2015) and site dolibarr.de.
Of course this takes time, french and international communities and forums exist since 10 years and more, and have a lot of people involved. In german this is to build…

I think the dolibarr FORUMS should be ONLY in english as a base language. This would help a lot.

5 Likes

Hi,

Coming from the world of Linux/Debian, Drupal, Wordpress and Prestashop, i find the Dolibarr forums being a disaster, may it be in English or in French and I’ve been very disappointed by the lack of activity. But reading this thread, it struck me that the obvious reason to that is that the users are in a very low extent technologically savvy.
People using Dolibarr want a software for their business and the typical user don’t know anything about the technology behind and they are not interested in learning it. Let’s say you work with Drupal, then you must be very aware of what you are doing, otherwise it is just to give it up and Wordpress and Prestashop are so much bigger platforms so the sheer number of users keeps the forums going.

When it comes to the documentation, it seems to be a disaster all over the world of Open Source Free Ware, that is at least my experience but if we want Dolibarr to take off and fly high we must put a lot of focus on that. About translations between forums I do not believe in it, and forums only in English is out of question; just too many users wouldn’t manage that. I believe it is just to wait to reach a critical mass of users in the different languages to have the forums to be alive.

But first and foremost, we all have to make an effort to develop the documentation.

All the best

Hans