Installation problems on Shared Server

I am helping a startup language school to set up Dolibarr on their website. It is a shared server account on Strato.de, meaning I don’t have full control, though I can set permissions with the FTP client.

The host runs under SunOS, PHP version 5.3.22, MySQL version 5 (both mysql and mysqli).

I placed the contents of htdocs in a /dolibarr folder below the root, then I used a browser to start /dolibarr/install/index.php. check.php was good, and I clicked Fresh install Start. I filled in needed fields on fileconf.php, but got errors when I asked it to create the database, so I went to Strato’s “Control Panel” and using phpMyAdmin, I created the database, which is on a separate server. I then pointed to that server, gave the correct db name, owner username and password, etc.

The fileconf.php then gave no errors and began to run. The banner for etape1.php came up with the message “Dolibarr install or upgrade - Configuration file.” The browser waited, clocking, and next a blank horizontal message box was displayed on the etape1.php page, but with no message or other information. I am guessing my host timed me out, but I can’t find any logs or other information.

I am not a PHP programmer in terms of writing complicated programs, though I can read and maintain PHP programs.

What’s the best way to get more info, to prove or disprove I am being timed out before the install can finish?

If it is a timeout issue, and I am quite sure STRATO won’t make an exception for me, has anyone else found a solution in this kind of environment? Obviously if the install process were broken into shorter tasks that would send a response and wait for the installer to click Next, then this would solve the problem. Has anyone modified fileconf.php, etape1.php etc. to do this?

We really don’t want to switch our account to a virtual private server. We have successfully installed WordPRess and Moodle (a course management system with a similar install procedure).

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hi,
I’am not an expert but found some trouble in the past …
My suggestion is to verify if the server is running Linux or Window.
If Linux make sure you have rights to write en the /htdocs directory and the owner of this directory (or the /dolibarr directory).
Try to reinstall and be patient (no information about a working process is given).

Good luck,
Alain.