Create a third party plus a child contact option removed in version 11?

Hello there,

Is the option to create a contact while creating the Third party removed in version 11?

Thanks

Gab

Hi,
Actually, this behaviour appeared in v10. You have to activate the global configuration parameter THIRDPARTY_SUGGEST_ALSO_ADDRESS_CREATION to get back this possibility. You may have a look here : https://www.dolibarr.fr/forum/t/creation-tiers-contact-disparu-en-v10/30305 and there : https://wiki.dolibarr.org/index.php/Setup_Other
Regards,
Marc

1 Like

Thanks a lot Marc, but I am concern for the warning

ā€œFor standard usage of Dolibarr, such parameters SHOULD NOT be used.ā€

Could this be an issue or this particular matter is not a big deal?

Thanks!

Yes, this is an overall warning regarding these hidden options. Some of them relate to very experimental (not well tested) features, and they are not supposed to be maintained (as being unofficial). In the present case, it does what you want. Iā€™d be suprised it is not replaced by something else whenever it gets deprecated as this feature (create a child contact together with a thirdparty) is of broad usage.
Regards,
Marc

By nature, creating a child address of a third-party should be done only if something in the address or email differs of the main third-party record (A thirdparty can be a company or a physical people). If not, it is just a waste of time to create a child address. So this option is useless for most common usage (or it is a bad use of the option).
The contact/address of Dolibarr are in fact ā€œAlternative contacts/addressesā€. If your contact is a physical contact, you should not create an alternative adress but have all information of contact in the third-party record (because this is a third-party that you order, or that you bill whatever is its satus).
Alternative contact/addresses can be used to record addresses that differs from the thirdparty. For example, for a company, it may be the ā€œAddress of warehouse ABCā€, ā€œThe juridical serviceā€, ā€œThe CEO emailā€, ā€œA second billing addressā€ā€¦

Hi eldy,

I would fully agree with your points, but I took the (bad?) habit of using Dolibarr as my central place for contacts and calendars, using the very efficient cdav module to keep my desktop and phone registries up to date with these collections, and unless I am totally mistaken, one needs a ā€˜regularā€™ contact to get the address processedā€¦

Regards,
Marc

Thanks a lot for your help. It works.
I do use the child contact mostly to have the same process of work (notes per contact and not per third party). As I am a consultant, the third party is the head of the family, the notes in the third party apply for all the members of the family, the notes in the contacts are individualā€™s informationā€¦ I my be overdoing it, but itā€™s working well.
Again, thanks a lot!

I have some Third Parties where ā€˜Third-party typeā€™ = ā€˜Private individualā€™
Is this good practice? Could it restrict the function of some features? For example the export/import of contacts via CalDAV?

Yes, using the type ā€œPrivate individualā€ to store third party that are individual people is a good practice.
It. It is tru there is no button/link to generate the .vcard file of a thirdparty record. This is a feature to add.

Thanks for the quick answer. This helps!