Decreasing Product in carton if the pcs is sold

Hi,

I’m engage in wholesale and retail grocery business. I have 1 box/carton of an item having 72 pcs inside and i’m selling it by carton or by pcs. Here are my concerns:

1. How would I create the item in dolibarr?Should I enter it as 2 sku, by carton and by pcs but same item?
  2. How will I manage my inventory in dolibarr if I sold by carton or if I sold pcs? Basically, what I’m doing is I’m getting the 2 or 3 cartons of that item and try to display it in selling area to sell it as pcs and the rest of the items will be placed in the warehouse. If a customer needs to buy a carton of that item, we will sell it as carton.
  3. I’m confused how will I manage the inventory in dolibarr?How it will decrease in the inventory if i sold a carton or pcs? How it will increase during the delivery and receiving?

Hello I am happy that some people are still wondering how to solve this problem !
We are facing the same situation :slight_smile:
We use Dolibarr since 10 years and still did not solve it correctly with external solutions.
It seems like we have to deeply adapt the core or make a very complete external module.
First steps in the Core were to allow multiple barcodes per supplier buying prices.
Did you notice it ? Can you try it ?
So you create a product, link to a supplier, and create 2 buying references, because your supplier may sell by unit and by carton of 72, no ?
Anyway, we will start this way to record the different packaging levels, and all the time the supplier has (MUST HAVE) a barcode on the product different than on the packaging. So when you scan a carton in “reception module”, it should implement 72 units.

Am I right, do you follow ?

Then, we can talk about the “batch numbers” and expiry dates
OR
Picking in stock and selling.

It is a hot subject in our company at the moment, and a really needed function for wholesalers.

what I did was I created 2 skus for a certain item as a test(in carton [parent] and in pcs[child]). I activated the virtual product(kits) but the thing is if the parent sku is increase/decrease the child sku changes. On the other hand, if there is changes in child sku there is NO changes in parent sku. Like for instance, if 1 carton of an item has a 72 pcs child sku inside and all that child sku was sold; the inventory of that particular item supposedly be decreased by 1 carton. When i tried this scenario, there was no changes at all.

Virtual product is not a solution unfortunately, you found what was wrong trying to use it.
The other issue will be when you sell a carton of the product or 72 virtual products, you have to choose which batch numbers will be decreased (if you use batch module) and at the moment it is not possible to “ship” or decrease stock with batch numbers from a virtual product.

First step in the Core is made :

Allow multiple barcodes per supplier buying prices.

Did you notice it ? Can you try it ?

So you create a product and link to a supplier,

you create 2 buying references
one per carton that has 72 pcs and price for 72
and a second reference with the price for one unit
you can even create a third one if your supplier sell also by pallet of 10 cartons of 72 units

This way it is a good start to record the different packaging levels,
everytime the supplier has (MUST HAVE) a barcode on the product, it is different than on the carton and than on the pallet.

Sowhen it will be available, you will scan a carton in “reception module”, it should implement 72 units in the supplier reception.
These informations, can be also accessible on the “shipments” side and on the “commercial side”.
We will start developping the module and ask for Core integration if possible…

Good tests and be patient…

Having the same problem in my business (selling by roll or by meter), I ask myself if the ProductMixer module could not be the solution for this issue…
Does somebody tried it?