Divide invoice over more than one period

Hello,
First post, just taking my first steps with dollibarr, non native English speaker, please be kind :slight_smile:

Thank you all for dollibar!
I have used a commercial dutch accounting product for the past 30+ years, so forgive me that I am looking for solutions for the things I did the past 30 years.

Short version: How can I place one incoming invoice into two or more periods?

Long version:
Suppose at January 1st, I get an incoming invoice for an insurance for the first three months of the upcoming year. I would like to book 1/3 of the amount without vat in each of the three first months.

In my current commercial product, this makes 5 journal entries in the incoming invoice:

• accounts payable 108.90, period 2024-01
  • vat on purchase 18.90, period 2024-01
  • insurancecosts 30.00, period 2024-01
  • insurancecosts 30.00, period 2024-02
  • insurancecosts 30.00, period 2024-03

My current product allows me to enter a period for each journal entry. I can’t seem to find how to handle this in dollibarr so I can spread the costs on one invoice over the three months.

Thank you all for your time and suggestion.

Kind regards

You might try thinking of the accounting like a prepayment that you would expense over the course of three months in your case.

I do something similar for my phone service which requires me to have a credit balance. I have created a bank account for the phone service and placed funds in the account which I draw down each month to pay the phone bill each month.

While you aren’t exactly prepaying, you need a way to expense the fee on a monthly basis.

I hope this helps.

Frank Carll

Thank you @fcarll for your reply.
Your method seems like a solution for one or two invoices. However I need this functionality often and am afraid your solution in such case is unnecessary time consuming and not clear.
Therefor I keep looking for a more appropriate solution.

I hope you find a solution more to your liking.

What I suggested works well for me on a monthly basis using Dolibarr’s Billing|Payment / Vendor Invoices module. As with many things, there is more than one way to skin a cat.