Help Installing Dolibarr in Ubuntu

Hello,

I am new to Linux and Dolibarr. I am attempting to install and get running a copy of Dolibarr on a server that I had previously used for another dead project. I have looked into the partners page and there is no one in Canada that is listed, so I find myself here.

Please forgive what are probably dumb questions as I learn.

First, my system is running on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS.

I first downloaded and installed the newest version
13.0.1(for Ubuntu) and attempted to run it normally.

It stops me at the third page because I don’t have root access, but I actually do and I have checked and rechecked and even reset my password and still it does not accept it.

I then attempted a manual install

I have installed all of the dependencies as per the instructions outlined on this website:

This is the most up to date guide I can find.

I have installed Apache2, MariaDB and configured PHP exactly as proscribed, however I have hit a wall.

When I attempt to enter Dolibarr and use the setup wizard I can’t connect to it. I am sure I am missing something small that would come naturally to an experienced user, but I haven’t been able to figure it out.

In the Dolibarr.conf file(see attached) I have used test . com and example . com as the website, however when I browse this site it actually connects to the internet and not Dolibarr.

I tried changing the hostfile to point me in the right direction and it works “almost” with example . com and brings me to the apache2 mainpage, test . com still goes to the net.

If someone could tell me what I am missing, or put me in touch with someone who can help, that would be great. Below I have attached a link to some images to show what I have done so far.

Thank you,

Stuart Urquhart

i think it was same problem i have with SQL server it is because there are no password on root user
try this sudo mysql -u root -p
and give your password
CREATE DATABASE dolibarr ;
CREATE USER 'dolibarr'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'PASSWORD';
GRANT ALL ON dolibarr.* TO 'dolibarr'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'PASSWORD' WITH GRANT OPTION;
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
EXIT;

Maybe also check settings of PHP
mine is
file_uploads = On
allow_url_fopen = On memory_limit = 512M
upload_max_filesize = 100M
max_execution_time = 360
date.timezone = Europe/Copenhagen

1 Like

Just a question: why don’t you install it as a webhosted version on your own server ?

I have installed it on my old Ubuntu 16.04 under /var/www/html. So i looks like it works on a host. I just have to call Dolibarr via a brwoser as http://localhost/erp/htdocs (i installed it as “erp”). That works fine and stable.

Ok, you have to install apache or a similar application and mysql. But mysql is needed in any case,

regards
Stefan

Yes, I had done that already. The php settings are good and the password for the user and root are the same and typed properly.

This was a fresh install of Ubuntu as well, so not sure why it won’t connect. I tried this whole process a few times and removed/reinstalled all the dependencies even.
Is there a setting that is not checked off that should let me connect to the database?

Thanks,

Stuart

Hi Stefan,

I am not sure exactly how to go about that, but could this be because I am using Ubuntu 20.04.1? Every reference I can see where this is working for people it is installed on older versions of linux.

Would it help, do you think, if I installed a 18.* version of Ubuntu?

Thanks,

Stuart

I would check if uncommented:

extension=php_mysql.dll
extension=php_pdo_mysql.dll

Ubuntu 20 has MySQL 8 installed by default, I would prefer a version 5.7 as this is currently mainstream and if you are new to Linux it’s better to use the main stream packages than the newest versions.

Anyway in a new setup a lot of things need to be enabled which are not by default. Just keep trying.

Hej Stuart,

no, i can’t imagine that the newer Ubuntu-version causes a problem. As Erik said, php and mysql should be installed already. The only thing you have to add is apache. And this was installed on my Ubuntu within minutes.

You have to call “localhost” as server. Otherwise you are led to the internet.

To avoid any mistakes i set the complete folder unter /var/www/html to rwxrwxrwx (complete success for every user, even if it a small user who only may look at a file). This is no good practice, i know. But as the local installation of Dolibarr is just for test purposes and i am the only one using this computer there is no risc…