How to access dolibarr through secure VPN connection on external PC

Hi,

Please advise me that how i can connect dolibarr through VPN connection.

Thanks,

Arshad

Hi Arshad,
we use Dolibarr through our VPN Network and nothing else is needed than running VPN.

Open your browser and type in your Dolibarr URL.
If this not work, take care about DNS. In some VPN Connections you have to define which company URL and / or Servers are routed. In our network we do not forward a routing for internal web sites and for that we have to enhance the Windows ‘hosts’ file and match our Dolibarr URL with the correct IP Address.

Regards,
Christian

1. Right-click the My Computer icon on the desktop, and then click Properties.
  2. Click the Remote tab.
  3. Make sure that the Allow users to connect remotely to this computer check box
    is selected, and then click OK
    You will need to request the “fixed IP address” for this “office” computer. To determine
    your computer’s IP address, Run cmd, then type ipconfig. Record the IP address.
    Your OFFICE computer is now set up so you can connect to it.
    Next, we’ll set up your HOME PC.
  4. Request VPN from HSPH IT – provide ID #, email address, billing code
  5. HSPH will send you an email with instructions for setting up your VPN account
    (similar to what follows:)
  6. Use a web browser to log-in to http://vpnxxxxxxx
  7. Download Cisco Anyconnect VPN client
  8. Create tunnel:
    a. Go to Start -> All Programs > Cisco > Cisco Anyconnect VPN Client
    b. Select vpnxxxxxxx
    c. Log in with your credentials
    i. User: XXXXXXX
    ii. Pasword: xxxxxx
  9. In addition to the Cisco program, you will also need a remote desktop program to
    connect to the computer you want to connect to.
    a. In Windows XP go to: Start>All Programs>Accessories and choose remote
    desktop connection (create a shortcut on your desktop, as you will go to this
    program each time you connect to your “office” computer). Enter the IP of
    your “office” computer in the provided box and click connect.
    b. In Windows 7: Go to the Start menu, then search “Remote Desktop”. Choose
    the FILE named remote desktop. Enter the IP address of the computer you
    want to connect to. You will also need to enter your username and password
    of the computer you connect to.

Hello All, :smiley:
@Lewis-H thanks for these detailed instructions.
Forgive my ignorance but i am trying to set up a vpn to access Dolibarr remotely.
I read your instructions but unfortunately I got stuck at point 4. I looked up what HSPH IT could mean and got directed to the Harvard School where they do mention the HSPH IT. However, it seems one needs to be a Harvard faculty or student to request a login?
Sorry i do not comprehend.
Am I understanding this completely wrong? :sweat: :thinking:

could you explain a bit further?
Thanks A LOT!! :pray:

Hello Mike 3

the question at all is where your dolibarr instance is running and what kind if vpn your company our your provider is using.

The hint from Lewis-H ist dedicated to a special VPN and open a remote session on an office PC. I think thats not related to dolibarr.

Our scenario we’re working in our company :
1.) dolibarr is installed on in internal server
2.) dolibar is accessible from every internal client via http://dolibarr.{our internal domain}
3.) clients that not insight our company (maybe home office or what ever) start a VPN client (installed by our IT department on their device)
4.) the VPN client connect to our company VPN Server and initiate a tunnel
5.) client can start dolibar via http://dolibarr.{our internal domain}

that’s all.

If you have an external hosted dolibarr instance you should get the VPN information from you provider, but more than that the procedure is the same.

Regards,
Christian

I don’t think you there is a general answer possible. The best solution depends very much on the local conditions. We usually use OpenVPN for our customers. This software even works behind NAT routers. Together with an appropriate DNS setup, Dolibarr can then be reached from any location with an Internet connection. More details better by PM. An open forum is not the right place to discuss such things .

U can use any vpn for it