Modifying Invoice Numbers

I’m trying to start using Dolibarr for an existing business. That means we already have customer numbers and invoice numbers that have been used before. Therefore, I need to be able to adjust these numbers as I create new invoices and new customers. The customer numbering system works well enough for me because I can set up the system to create new customer numbers starting at 1800 and I can adjust the customer number when I need to enter an older customer who comes back to us after a long time.

However, the invoice numbering system seems to be much less flexible. I can get close to the format we have by using the mercure system. However, that system does not allow me modify the invoice number before or after I validate the invoice. Also, it would be really nice if I could set the starting invoice number on a per-customer basis. Are there any plans in this direction?

Thanks,
John

The invoice numbering system is less fexible because in most countries, a too much flexible system for numbering is not allowed. In fact, it is as much flexible that it is allowed by most european countries. Whats is your country ?

1 Like

I’m in the United States. My country makes no requirements on my invoicing system. I’m free to number my invoice as I please or not number them at all if I prefer. I have been using this numbering system for about twenty years with no complaints.

I see. Rules are sometimes too much in some European countries.
Well, for the moment, it is not possible to edit the invoice reference. With v11, available in january, a hidden option “INVOICE_ALLOW_FREE_REF” has been introduced to experiment the capability to change reference of an invoice. But this will be possible as long as the invoice has the status “Draft” and only if your country is not in Europe. Do you think this feature in v11 will solve your need ?

Excellent! I would not want to change the invoice number after the invoice is generated, only while creating it. This hidden option sounds like just the ticket for me. When you say it is “hidden,” what do you mean? How does one access hidden options?

I can certainly wait until January to see this implemented; I’m only evaluating Dolibarr right now. Thank you for your help.

Uniquark,
Check it out.

https://wiki.dolibarr.org/index.php/Setup_Other

Dear Eldy, In India,you need to upload the invoice number ,customer name and amount also no of invoices made in that month vs cancelled invoices. Hence we are following a phliosophy example 001-20-21 ( Sr no- FY) from the beginning. such numbering i can not assign nor customize. Hence currently I am invoicing manually and then entering into dolibarr. Will be delighted if you can being such customization feature in dolibarr. I am using 11.02 version or allow me to put my own number directly

Did you try to set the variable INVOICE_ALLOW_FREE_REF to 1 in home - setup - other. And then edit the ref with yours ?

Thanks Eldy. Could make my own numbers. and print the final invoice from Dolibarr

trying to have daily invoice numbering in POS…is it feasible …if yes requesting kindly share the process