Naming of product

Hello. Can I get some help on how to manage the record of product name?
The situation is like this:
I buy a product from a supplier. Let’s say the supplier product code and name is AAA-111 Cocoa powder good chocolate taste 500 g
I want to name the product under a different code and name to sell it. For example I will rename it BBB-222 Chocolate taste cocoa powder 500 g.
When I buy the product I create reception of the product under code AAA-111 but when I will sell it under the name BBB-222 the stock movement is not synchronized.
How do you advise to manage this situation?
I use Dolibarr 16.0.0

You certainly are free to identify your products/services by any convention that you choose.

A lot of what you are trying to accomplish will depend upon how you operate your purchases and sales.

In the scenario that you describe, create an item “BBB-222” and save it into your system. Once that is done, pull up that item and create a “Buying Price” for that item at that particular vendor. Add their product code as a SKU “AAA-111” along with the vendors prices etc.

While I have no idea of how your business orders items [purchase order, phone, etc], you will have their appropriate product code as a reference into their system. Place your orders as needed using their product code. Receive your orders as purchase order/invoice using your item number “BBB-222” not their product code “AAA-111” .

You system will be correct in receiving items and quantities.

I hope this helps.

Frank

This is 100% correct

Since they’re the same physical item, AAA-111 should not be a product in your database, but instead it should be a “Vendor SKU” for product BBB-222 that is in your database.

Even for products that I am not selling but instead using internally as consumables, we use an internal name/SKU in the database since there are competing vendors who all using different naming schemes and SKUs for the same thing.

E.g. I have “Nitrile_Gloves_XL” in my database with the SKU/Barcode “C046” (Consumable 046), but 5 different vendors each with their own SKU for XL Nitrile Gloves. Some of them are identical to each other with just a different code from the vendor, and others are a different brand, but they all are “equivalent” for our purposes and so don’t warrant having separate product tracking.

Hello Frank, Thank you for your advice.
We place our orders through a Purchase order that we need to validate and approve.
I understand that I need to create an item BBB-222 through New product tab, then create a buying price and use the product code of the supplier as a SKU AAA-111.
Then, should I create an item AAA-111 (the product code of the supplier) so that I can place an order?
I don’t see how I can place an order without an Item code.
Please let me know.

Thank you. Can we use SKU code when doing a Purchase order?

No you should not create an item “AAA-111”

You will choose the appropriate vendor to place an order to. You will enter all the appropriate order info prior to the order lines. Ref Vendor, terms, payment method, etc

You will use the “Predefined products/services to purchase” and choose “BBB-222” to purchase. The SKU for “AAA-111” will appear on the purchase order so that your vendor knows what item/s your order is requesting. You would enter the quantity requested to purchase. The price is the one that you previously entered for that vendor.

When the order is fulfilled, you will process it as you would normally.

Frank

Dear Frank, that’s clear. Now I see (Vendor SKU AAA-111) on the purchase order. Thanks a lot for your help.

You are quite welcome. I’m glad I was able to.

Frank