Need help upgrading from 3.5.3

Hello all !
I’m absolutely new here. I need to transfer a Dolibarr install to a new server. The old instance runs on PHP5.6 on an alod server, and will be transferred to a regular hosting instance at Infomaniak. Therefore, two questions :

1. Will 17.0.2 (latest) support PHP8 ? I can setup PHP7.4 but I’d rather run it on a more modern version.

2. How do I upgrade easily (if possible at all) from version 3.5.3 to version 17.0.2 (latest as of writing)? Anything I should be aware of? Maybe a guide somewhere? Direct upgrade or version-by-version? Or maybe a fresh install and re-import everything ?

As I said, I’m absolutely new, so apologies if my questions are naïve.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello,

Yes Dolibarr v17 is compatible with PHP V8

You need to be careful to external module you might have.

If you have nothing special then install a fresh Dolibarr v17 on your new hosting.
Then empty the database, import the MySQL dump of your Dolibarr v3.5
Upload your document folder
Then the installation script will guide you to upgrade version by version.

Good luck :crossed_fingers:

Hello,
I actually tried on a duplicate install, and I’m glad to say it went absolutely fine. DB update process was long, of course, but the install has no external modules, so it went smoothly. I have to say congrats to the dev team. We seldom see 9-year worth of upgrades going so nicely ! Absolutely thrilled that this has not been difficult. Thanks Dolibarr :slight_smile:
And BTW it’s running nicely with PHP 8.1. I don’t know if here is the right place to report this, but the prerequisites page on the wiki should be updated (Prerequisites - Dolibarr ERP CRM Wiki) although the Releases page is fine (Releases - Dolibarr ERP CRM Wiki). That led me to some confusion :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for providing this positive feedback! It’s always encouraging to see that core design principles like upgradability work out in reality as promised.

And good that you mentioned the outdated version in the Wiki, I just included a provisional fix.

Joachim