Product with serial numbers

Dear friends, I tried to add serial numbers to some products and I had the following problems:

1. Too many steps to do it.
  2. Ubelivable confusion with batch, lot, SN, characteristics.
  3. You can add more than 1 times the same SN (which is not acceptable)
  4. There is no way to correct or delete a SN
  5. You can import to your stock more than items than you have ordered from your supplier
  6. You cannot connect a spesific SN with your customer
    and finally 7. you cannot print in pdf the serial number no matter what ‘option_’ I used. ‘option_’.$key or ‘option_my_product’.$key. Whatever.
    I tried to find how these fields are connected with an ODBC connection to access.
    THERE ARE AT LEAST 20 TABLES THAT HAVE DETAILS FOR PRODUCTS AND AT LEAST 3 BRIDGE TABLES.
    I wonder if there is a need of redrawing of product tables and table connections (joins) section.

There are some modules with serial number functionality. Maybe you will find a useful one and perhaps you can ask a supplier to help you with some adjustments to make it fit for you.

You may have right but there were some problems with modules that I have already bought.

1. You have to buy them again any time you upgrade your installation.
  2. they don’t give exactly what you want for example a PDF module. In Greece we have a lot of different elements. For example we have “timologio” which is exactly the same with Invoice. But we have also “Invoice for Services” which is just for services and you they have different sequencial number. There are more or the less 7 different elements that they have their own serial secuancy. So upart the different template for that, that finally I made on azure template, “manually”, I needed to change 1800 lines of code in order to: a) can choose the exact element that we need and
    b) to have auto incremented number for each.
    So a paied for nothing.
    I am pretty sure that with this DBase constraction for the product section soon this will changed. So what ever module you buy you will have to buyit again at the next upgrade.
  3. Most of the modules dont have a demo to see what you get.

Hello Pilaftsis,
Most modules can be redownloaded on the store page after loging in and going to the bought modules page. When buying a module you should always read their update terms. If you write the author an email you can most of the time find a solution.

Yes I don’t mean that they are not serius or whatever else. I mean that finally you may buy something that you don’t need.
As I described above. I bought a pdf module that finally i didnt need it at all.
My needw ware to choose 7-8 different elements (invoice, invoice for services etc), with their own auto increment series and their own lay out. You cannot do it with this pdf module.
I have also among other usefull modules, multicompany module, that I upgrade reqularly.
PDF module I bought it was for someone who needs easily to change colors, frame size etc. For someother might be very usuful if he cannot change the related commands in the template .php or the related rgb format color. But for me is not.
Regarding products I will try to put in order all these tables and i will see what I can do.

But there is a serius issue. A SN must be unigue, and must be related to a specific client. This is an ISO requirment for every one and related to any warranty.

We like to run Dolibarr without modules, since it might take some time for the module owners to upgrade to the latest Dolibarr version if ever.

So we have decided to use tickets as a serial number / warranty number.
We run the ticket in a project where the product is sold and after a year when warranty is over the ticket get automatically closed. At this moment we still manually add the ticket number to the PDF, invoice.

The ticket is linked to a manufacturing order, so we have the information about how the product is built on hand when any issues.

I know this might not be a solution for everyone, but it might be an eye-opener for some other people.

1 Like

Thanks to 13 verison it is possible to delete a wrong SN and add a new (correct) one.
SN can be written on shipment document and deleted from the stock. I will try to connect a ticket experimentaly in order to follow all procedures and see what might be the problems.
Thank you erikvanberkum.

Hello,
I am currently working for a customer on improvements to the core lot/SN module that will be proposed to integration.
If you send me more details about your needs, i will look iif they are already included or not and send you a commercial proposition to develop the missing points.
My email is contact at altairis dot fr
The other (and free) solution is to write an issue in the github project and wait for someone to eventually take it in charge.
Best regards
Christophe

Hello Christophe,

Where are you from?

Thank you for your reply Christopher. I dont know.
I can print a shipment doc that will have the serial number, pachage details and weight. In Greece we have this doc and we call it “Deltio apostolis”. After that I have to print an Invoice with prices, and of cource I wave to link it with a ticket for the warranty.
Too many steps for us. Also in Greec we have a combination of Shipment document and Invoice (TDA).
In my 20 years old access based app I just choose from a pulldown menu the what exactly need and easiely I have the requested document and the related reactions to stocks, to sn each.
I really need a web based software but it is too complex

That is why we just use only the proposal, orders section.
I really try to find if it worths. Ofcource for a very big company that all these sections are seperatly it worths. But for us?