Stock management - per fraction.... watch out for those European commata!

Hi everybody.
I just installed Dolibarr (ver. 11 as a shared host) and am still testing for my business. It’s quite exciting!

One feature I partly enjoy, is the ability to register stock per fraction of units. (This is important for me because I import containers of bulk material labelled and weighted in Lbs that I must repackage and deliver in kilograms.)

PROBLEM : only partial flexibility

While fractions are apparently processed well within the orders, billings and receptions processes (after I had defined standard products of 1 Kilogramm), there seems to be a partial limit to that feature flexibility.

Here it is: when it comes to the stock correction pannel. On that pannel, Dolibarr only accepts a round amount (1,2,3,4… Kg) !!! That means any fraction (like 1.36) will not cause an error but causes the validation process to entirely ignore the incremental effect on the warehouse stock. It just doesn’t work.

This stock correction feature of the stock module is of course not to think away of warehouse management business. So where do you think (if) it could be fixed? Any idea ? Or is one supposed do do that in a whole other manner?

I 'd be thankful for any answer…
Best,
Chris

Thank for bringing this up, but I can’t reproduce your issue, Dolibarr stock is also managed by fractions.
What do you mean with

Can you give example like some screen dump?

For example, just added 0.01 to stock:

Thanks very much fappels, for your answer! Great to know it worked for you. This helped me in fact to inquire the inconsistency further.

Here’s what I found:

While I was able to order fractional amounts of a product to fill the stock, I couldn’t seem to be able to make any fractional adjustment through the “correct stock” button. Apparently, that mask would only consider round amounts.

HOWEVER

This happens because I enter the fractional data consistently the European way, that is, with commata (that’s because I do business in France and use Dolibarr in French…) While the commata are well processed in the order mask, the “correct stock” mask will only take the English spelling with the decimal point ! Now I know, and it’s quite all right.

Cheers,
Chris

EDIT: I will edit the title so to make the issue more easily understandable right away, if it can help someone else too.

Thanks for the details, indeed stock page does not accept comma numeric notation and strange page after entering this kind of notation, should be improved.
Note: If you are French speaking, there is also a French specific forum which is also very active.

1 Like

PS: so indeed, I noticed that comma vs. decimal point confusion pops up on different occasions still (BOM, Products…) and since it really touches more the French (German) community… I 'ill make a brief post on that French Forum as a workaround until some friendly soul finds a fix.

For the stock page, already a fix is introduced for next Dolibarr 13. Should be nice you could list all occasions in a bug report on https://github.com/Dolibarr/dolibarr

Fantastic ! Ok I will try to find and report the other occurrences these next days.

Christof when your problem is:

While fractions are apparently processed well within the orders, billings and receptions processes (after I had defined standard products of 1 Kilogram), there seems to be a partial limit to that feature flexibility.

I would recommend using the MRP module (manufacturing resource planning).

Using the stock correction panel is like using a bike when you require a car.

With the MRP module you input product(s) and than convert it to other product. It will also be much easier for your stock management in that way you probably get a better indication of your physical and virtual stocks.

Your bill of materials will state all in imperial units with their fractions
than in your manufacturing orders everything will be converted into the metric system as you produce your products.

It also give you the ability to add labels or whatever other materials you use during the process. Also when you loose some products because of spillage you can correct here.

Thanks very much for this helpful introduction Erik, I will look into that more closely.

Chris.