VAT (GST) due on payment for products and services

Hi I’m quite new to Dolibarr and have been searching for a solution to a problem for some time to do with when GST (VAT) is applied. I’m in Australia and here, the GST is calculated when an account is paid. This is for both Vendor Invoices and Customer Invoices. It is also for both products and services too.
I’ve been using ‘Standard basis’ but this method still applies GST on delivery of goods whereas I need it to be applied when goods are actually paid for (for both vendors and customers). Is there a way to achieve this?

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

If I beleive this screenshot (under admin/taxes.php)

Setting the mode on “Cash basis for products and services” should serve your needs.

Reagrds,
Marc

Thanks for your reply Marc. I don’t however, see all 3 options in my module. I’m assuming I need to set something to enable this? I see the following…

Using V11.0.3 BTW

Cheers

Chris

Oops, indeed you have to enable experimental features, that is set MAIN_FEATURES_LEVEL to 1 in Setup/Other. That means this option is not considered fully stable yet. I would thus advice you to make proper testing to ensure this is a viable approach.

Regards,
Marc

Awesome! Thanks Marc. I’ll take the risk as this is a real blocking point for me. Glad also to know I’m not completely losing my mind. Thanks so much for your kind help

Cheers

Chris

Hi Marc

Further to this, I find the reporting in Accounting for payments seems to be based upon the date of invoice and not the date of payment. e.g. If I send an invoice on May 29 but it is not paid until June 2, Accounting reporting will report the payment for the invoice date and not the payment date. If I view the same transaction in Billing/Payment option=>Payments=>Reporting, the payment is applied on the actual date of the payment and not the invoice date. Is there an option similar to the one you have outlined above to address this in Accounting? This is throwing out quite a few accounts as many customers have 30 day accounts and invoice date is not the same as payment date (and it doesn’t align now with GST as this is applied in a cash basis) .

edit…After digging a bit deeper, it looks like the issue is when the payment is added to the ledger. That is, it’s added on the invoice date and not the payment date of any billing or payment.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,
This is very strange. Payments in ledger originate from the bank journal which should report the payment date you declared when registering the payment. You could thus inspect the bank journal before and after writing in the general ledger (go to Accountancy/Tansfer in accounting/Registration in accounting/Bank Journal) and ensure dates are not mangled.
And prior to that ensure payments dates where correctly declared. Indeed, note that when declaring a payment, there is an option to set the payment date to the invoice date (sort of a shortcut for all buyings with immediate payment). You or your users may have used this option to save a few clicks…

Regards,
Marc

Thanks Marc

I’ve taken the steps a number of times to try to determine where things are falling down. I’ll paste screen shots here and maybe you can see something I’ve missed.

I re-instated an old product I no longer sell which had it’s own account in chart of accounts. That way I can see the month when (which month) the payment is made.
I created an invoice for that product on a 30 day end of month option (I use the date paid and account etc that you mentioned all the time… great and useful feature!).

Then, I paid the account. The payment was mad in the month after the order was placed and shipped (validated).

I registered the account in the ledger and noticed the date of this is the invoice date and not the payment date. No ability to change this though…

This is how it appears in the bank journal…

Finally, I looked at the month the payment occurred in reporting section of Accounting and it appears in the month of invoice (July) and not month of payment (August) :frowning:

Anything you can see that I’ve missed would be of great assistance. Using ‘Reporting by personalized groups’ is perfect for my accountant to use when I give him a snapshot of my accounts, but unfortunately it’s not accurate ATM.

Cheers

Chris

I think I may have identified where the problem is for what I’m experiencing. I’m struggling to find any clarification of some of the terminology used however.
It looks like if I use the ‘Bank’ accounting ‘Nature of Journal’, then the date of payment is applied and shows on the correct month.

If however I use a different ‘Nature of Journal’ type (other than ‘Bank’) e.g. sales, then the date the sale is used and not the payment date. It’s not clear (and I can’t find any clarification of this), what the different types mean… e.g. what does ‘Has-New’ mean?

I think I might be misunderstanding the intention of this setup but cannot find any real use-cases to clear things up.

Cheers

Chris