What server resources to buy?

Hi everyone,
I am writing to ask if you can please let me know the RAM, CPU and the disk of the dedicated server to host Dolibarr serving small service business with 5 employees ?
Thank you

Hello @erpadmin
No need for a dedicated server for a small business.
Just a hosting with enough storage capacity to save your documents. 20 to 40 Gb is already very good.
But then it depends on what you’re storing in Dolibarr…
@+

Can you please let me know the permissions on file in order to solve this warning:
" Warning, your config file (htdocs/conf/conf.php ) can be overwritten by the web server. This is a serious security hole. Modify permissions on file to be in read only mode for operating system user used by Web server. If you use Windows and FAT format for your disk, you must know that this file system does not allow to add permissions on file, so can’t be completely safe. This security warning will remain active as long as the vulnerability is present."

This file must be in read only. (chmod 400)
@+

CPU and RAM

The CPU core and RAM needs greatly depend on the type of virtualization technology. I have a VPS provider where my machines can even run with HALF A CORE and 1Gb of RAM. Hahaha, I don’t really know how they do it, but it works well enough for a specific and small workload.

While I have had providers (which I obviously left) where even a VPS with 4Gb of RAM was almost insufficient to run a normal website.

With that first provider (I hope no one gets upset if I recommend them here: clouding.io), I have VPS with 2 CPU cores and 4Gb of RAM hosting more than 10 different Dolibarrs for clients. But hey, if you ask me, Dolibarr is usually not software with “a lot of workload.”

Websites OPEN TO THE PUBLIC usually have much more load, where at a given moment (if you start an advertising campaign, for example) you can have several dozen CONCURRENT users on the server requesting different product pages.

From what you say, 5 users “working on Dolibarr” are unlikely to put much load on the server. I would say that you can have it with a minimal machine. I know I’m 15 days late in responding to your inquiry, but I hope it will be useful to other users.

Last tip: hire a provider that allows you to increase/reduce the features of your VPS in real-time. That is, you can try to run Dolibarr with a low-resource machine, and if you need more resources, you can increase them without having to install everything from scratch.

Storage

By the way, regarding the storage you need for a Dolibarr, that depends WAY TOO MUCH on how you use it. Of my nearly 20 clients that I host Dolibarr for, none of them reach 1Gb of space in 6 years, with hundreds of invoices and quotes in PDF. The average is probably 500Mb per Dolibarr instance.

But I can imagine that if you store many external files in your Dolibarr (product images, product or service PDFs, videos, etc…) then the needed storage space will be proportional.

Regarding storage space, last week I tested the following architecture with full success (I’m pending to publish a complete guide to replicate it :grin:):

1. Hire a cloud storage service (such as Hetzner StorageBox for €3/month and 1TB space) that can be used through WEBDAV (this is very important).
  2. Install Dolibarr on a Linux VPS where you have root access.
  3. On that VPS, configure fstab to automatically mount on boot a webdav /mnt/CloudStorage directory connected to the storage service.
  4. Copy the content of your Dolibarr directory /documents to the “mounted directory.”
  5. Replace the initial /documents with a SYMBOLIC LINK to /mnt/CloudStorage.

And voilà! You have hosted a Dolibarr instance with 1TB of free space for only an extra €3 each month.

As I mentioned earlier, I need to find time to publish a complete guide with detailed instructions for an Ubuntu VPS, but this is the idea, and believe me, it works exceptionally well. The SQL database continues to work in the VPS, but usually, the database has no problem with space. The space becomes a problem when you upload more and more external physical files attached to your invoices, orders, products/services, etc.