Please, change this DISCOURAGING "Negative feedback rate" label text on Dolistore

Hello everyone, I’m opening this community discussion thread as a developer of modules for Dolibarr (I have several on Dolistore, such as the two-factor authentication module, and some themes like Dark and Solarized) to kindly ask the people in charge of Dolistore to PLEASE change that text label that appears below a module’s info sheet on Dolistore that says “Negative feedback rate” in reference to the “number of users who requested a refund after purchasing the module”.

Why do I ask for this change? Because it is very far from the reality of the module and the sales and/or refunds it has had. As we all know, there are always people who LIKE to buy something to try it out and then return it (which is nearly impossible when the purchase is a PHP module) or ask for their money back.

The refund policy itself in the case of our Dolibarr modules is already a BAD POLICY, especially for those of us who provide abundant screenshots, user guides on our website or the wiki, and even videos, and even DEMOS where you can test the module BEFORE USING YOUR CREDIT CARD! Why does this refund policy exist?

Anyway, the refund policy issue is a topic for another occasion. If you ask me about it, I would vote in favor of letting each developer choose whether or not to offer the right of refund.

But apart from this refund thing, what does seem totally wrong and detrimental to the reputation of my modules is that IF SOMEONE REQUESTED A REFUND after purchasing my module which has barely more than 25 sales (it’s only 2 months old), it shows this below the module specs:

• This module has been purchased 27 times
  • Negative feedback rate: 3.7%

This is false! It’s not the same for someone to decide that the module really wasn’t what they needed versus the module functioning poorly, or even worse, that the developer doesn’t assist them, etc…

So, as a developer who has maximum availability with my clients, who CONNECTS VIA VIDEOCONFERENCE whenever possible with those who purchase my module, for example when they have sometimes had a problem even installing it because they use a third party hosting platform or docker or things THEY DON’T UNDERSTAND (:sweat_smile:)… and who also corrects any MISALIGNMENT that may occur on a specific client’s server (or Dolibarr configuration) from one day to the next… it seems PROFOUNDLY UNFAIR to me that below my module it says “Negative feedback” to indicate the number of refunds !!!??? that’s not “feedback”, not even “negative”!!

And on top of that 3.7% ??? I think you have to change that… PLEASE. It would be enough to simply say what it is:

• Refund rate

But it is highly unfair for it to say “NEGATIVE FEEDBACK”… even more so when I HAVE NOT RECEIVED any FEEDBACK from that client who requested the refund. But here we would already be getting into the current refund policy. Which to do properly, the parties involved should be consulted and present to the store manager (Philippe?) the email conversations regarding the reason for the refund between the buyer and developer.

I suppose I’m not the only developer quite upset about this issue, I read months ago something about some controversy in another “thread” on this forum (maybe it was in another language)… but months go by and I see nothing changes.

One detail only: at the time that person demanded a refund and a blatant 5.4% “negative feedback” appeared on the module specs, sales PLUMMETED: it went from 2 per week, to 1 every 2 weeks !!!?

I mention this data to “try to convince” whoever may doubt my anger with this issue. That on the other hand, I think we also have to see it this other way: with this situation

1. preventing Dolibarr users from taking more advantage of good third party code, discouraging purchases with that dreadful and FALSE “negative feedback” message

2. ultimately, Dolibarr becomes less useful and less complete for those users, and lags behind the competition in prestige

… I’ll leave it there. Sorry, but someone had to say it. If you want to “play marketplace”, you have to pay more attention to these “commercial details”. Some of us depend on every euro that comes in, whether open source or not, and we like to always do a good job, but also for it to be SUSTAINABLE. Attacking sales of my modules this way only forces me to re-think the effort the next time I want to develop a module.

And I say it because for the module I’ve been talking about I’ve put in at least 200 hours of work (10,000€?) and have barely sold it 27 times… and it costs 40€. Do the math and put yourself in my shoes before giving your opinion.

“Free software” is not “free” like beer.

Anyway, if you’ve made it this far, thanks for your attention. Hugs

2 Likes

Here is the English translation:

Ok, wanting to translate this post into French to also publish it on the French forum, I have reloaded the module page on Dolistore in its French version and I am discovering that in that language the phrase IS CORRECT:

Refund rate: 3.7%

Well, in french really:

Taux de remboursement: 3.7%

So I have looked in the other Dolistore languages and I see that in ALL LANGUAGES except French it says:

Negative feedback rate: 3.7%

Please, change this text to a faithful translation of what it says in French.

Thank you!
Gracias!
Merci!
Danke!
Grazie!
:hugs:

2 Likes

Hello,

We get a lot of comments on Dolistore update on the french forum if you want to read : Evolutions Dolistore - Votre avis - Discuter entre Dolibarriens - Forum Dolibarr france

1 Like

Thanks @ksar but i already knew that thread… if you search there you will see that i participated on Sep’23 :hugs:

Just for this reason i’m talking about this again… because 6 months later the developers continue having the SAME problem. In my case, as i explained here, my sells downgrade from 2 by week to 1 by 2 weeks (perceived estimation) just when someone requested the refund.

2 Likes

Yes you are right sorry for that!

I tried to make a PR : Update product_statistic.tpl by ksar-ksar · Pull Request #57 · Dolibarr/dolibarr-foundation · GitHub

2 Likes

Thanks for feedback @caos30
I have fixed the spanish, italian, german and english translation. Only french translation was correct.

Also note that no information is shown if you have not enought sales.

About the reimbursement policy, note that this is not a choice: We are an european organization and this is an european directive, so not doing it is just illegal. The text of the european directive, we are in the scope of, about consumer rights when doing online sales :
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32011L0083

3 Likes

Thanks to you @eldy, to be ALWAYS listening on !! :star_struck:

I don’t want to be misunderstood, I am in favor of protecting consumers from sellers who provide them with defective products, but I believe that there are too many consumers who exploit this legal situation to ABUSE and return clothing or devices a week after using them at an event they had to attend (I think we all know people who have done this!!). And with PHP software… we all know that there is even a black market with our modules being resold in bundles at a ridiculously low price, and even worse, without paying a cent to the developer.

It is in this context that I find it “naive” to punish developers when one of these individuals decides to “return” the module they purchased.

I am aware of European directives, but in my opinion, it’s an error that they do not consider the case of SOFTWARE (especially non-compiled software) in their EXCEPTIONS. In other words, NOT ALL purchases are obligated to be refunded upon customer request!! There are many services that do not fall under this obligation.

For instance, no one would expect a person who bought a house to receive a refund after living in it!! :sweat_smile: So, why should we refund a customer from Dolistore after DOWNLOADING a PHP code? Especially when we provide DEMOS, screenshots, manuals… (and sometimes reviews too :hugs:).

But what can we expect from OUR LAW REGULATORS??? We can be certain that probably all of them RENT AND SELL houses, but none of them has ever heard of the acronym PHP :disappointed:

Nevertheless, as you reminded me… the law “compels us” to issue refunds. If you ask me, we can legally implement other “dissuasive” measures: for example, preventing a user (by email address) from making further purchases after they have been refunded for ONE MODULE. I mean: making it slightly more challenging for them to request a refund for a PHP module.

Thank you for everything, regardless.

1 Like

@eldy are the sales in DoliStore really consumer sales? I would consider the DoliStore a B2B store.

1 Like

For the majority I would say yes, because dolibarr is mainly used by Companies
But you have also associations, freelancer, etc…

1 Like

In Denmark freelancers are not seen as private citizens. Associations? Maybe, I am in doubt.

However several webshops in Denmark with regular products who sells to both private citizens and to businesses ask what kind of sale it is. If you select Private Citizen then only your name will be on the invoice and it will have added 25% VAT. Where as if you select Business then your company/organisation name will be on the invoice, and at least for companies the invoice might be without VAT, where as for non profit organisations the VAT is most likely included because they are not VAT extempt.

Surely the DoliStore could ask what kind of sale is done and have different transaction rules.

1 Like

This is a different point. The point of vat is a finance law. We already apply this. When the user is entering its IntraVAT number, we know user is a company and the VAT is not the same and the intra vat rules apply).

2 Likes

I guess I was a little unclear. If I select business when doing such transactions I waive my rights to a return policy which I do have under the law as a private citizen

1 Like

It seems there is no difference with business and non business customer about the law on the protection for customers. I didn’t find english text, but in fench law that is the version of european law, we found this in article 1:

“14° Place de marché en ligne : un service utilisant un logiciel, y compris un site internet, une partie de site internet ou une application, exploité par un professionnel ou pour son compte, qui permet aux consommateurs de conclure des contrats à distance avec d’autres professionnels ou consommateurs ;”

So “marketplace” scope is both when relation is done between a non business customer with a seller and a business customer with a seller.
But it is a very complex topic…

2 Likes